FlexTerm Extensions is a powerful tool, which provides enhanced functionality and increased productivity for the user. Included are three system extensions for function keys, notes and print multiple screens, with the ability to create custom extensions with buttons for performing any FlexTerm action.
To enable one of the provided system extensions, from the View ribbon tab, press the lower half of the Extensions button to select one of the following system extensions:
This notepad has save, print, cut, copy and paste functionality
- PF Keys
This system extension contains Program Function Keys PF1 through PF24. For host systems that do not support these host keys, the buttons are grayed out and not available.
Print Multiple Screens
Provides functionality for capturing the text from multiple host screens, then sending the output to a printer or file.
A check mark will display next to extensions which are enabled for the current workspace.
Follow the steps below to create a new custom extension:
- From the View ribbon tab, press the icon on the top half of the Extensions button , enter a name, then press the Open button to display the Customize Extension property page.
- Customize the look and feel of the new extension by setting the number of rows and columns, margin size between each button, and background color.
- For each button, either double-click or press the Action Property button to display the Action Property page, then select the appropriate action for the button to perform when pressed.
- Press the Apply button to continue customizing additional buttons, or press OK to return to the Customize Extension page.
Note: after applying an action, the text and/or image properties will automatically be populated, however these may be overridden by the user.
- For each button, set the appearance to display Text Only, Image Only or Image With Text (default).
- When finished customizing the extension, press Save to save the settings to the current extension.
Enabling/Disabling Custom Extensions
Once a custom extension has been created, it will display under Custom Extensions when pressing the lower half of the Extensions button . Toggle visibility by selecting an extension from the list. Enabled extensions are indicated by a check mark.
By default, all custom extension will display as a floating window, which may be placed inside the FlexTerm workspace window, or moved away from the workspace by clicking the extension title bar, then dragging and dropping. Resize the floating extension by selecting any corner or side, then drag and drop. By default, the button text and/or image will automatically resize accordingly. While floating, right-click the title bar to display options to dock, close or customize the extension.
Grabbing the title bar and moving provides options for docking the extension to any side of the FlexTerm workspace, or any floating session window. Hover over any of the dock positions to see a preview before releasing the mouse to dock the extension there.
Auto Hide Docked Extensions
Any extension that is docked may also be set to Auto Hide by pressing the push pin icon on the right side of the title bar, or by right-clicking the title bar and selecting Auto Hide. Hidden extensions are displayed as a bar on the side of the window where they are docked and are made temporarily visible by clicking on the extension name, or by right-clicking the extension bar and choosing an extension from the list. Pressing any button on the extension, or clicking away from the extension will again hide it. Turn off Auto Hide mode by toggling the push pin icon.
Note: Office, Aero and Classic themes have the ability to display hidden extensions by simply hovering over the extension name.
Any extension may be closed by pressing the X in the upper right corner of the extension window, or by pressing the lower half of the Extensions button from the View ribbon tab and selecting it from the list.
Use any of the following methods to open an existing extension to modify:
- From the View ribbon tab, press the icon on the top half of the Extensions button , select an extension name from the list, then press the Open button to display the Customize Extension property page.
- Right-click the title bar of any visible extension and choose Customize from the pop-up menu.
- Right-click any auto-hidden extension and choose Customize from the pop-up menu.
Once the Customize Extension property page is open, modify any of the following extension properties:
Modify the number of rows to display between 1 and 14.
Modify the number of columns to display between 1 and 24.
Set the button margins to any value between 1 and 20.
Press the arrow next to the Background color to clear the color, select a new color, or change the opacity of the color.
Select an individual button to modify any of the following button properties:
Select Text Only, Image Only, or Image With Text (default).
(Only available when Image Only or Image With Text is selected for Appearance).
Press the drop-down to choose one of the available FlexTerm icons, or press the browse button to choose an image to import (.bmp, .jpg, .tif, .png and .ico formats are supported). Press the image size button to toggle the image between fixed and auto-size.
(Only available when Text Only or Image With Text is selected for Appearance).
Enter the text to display. Press the text size button to toggle the text between fixed and auto-size. If set to fixed font size, set to the desired font size. Press the arrow next to the Text color to clear the color, select a new color, or change the opacity of the color.
Press the Action Property button, or double-click any extension button to modify the action to perform when the button is pressed. The Action Property button will open the Action Property page in mode-less mode, allowing you to modify the action for multiple buttons before pressing OK to save all changes. Double-clicking an extension button will open the Action Property page in model mode for quick changes to a single button. To submit changes to individual buttons, either double-click the action property, or press the Apply button.
From the Customize Extension property page you may also rearrange buttons using one of the following methods:
- Drag any button and drop on another button to swap positions on the extension.
- Drag any button and drop to the left or right of any other button to insert it at that position and shift any affected buttons one position to the left or right, depending on where you drop it.
Once you have completed all modifications, press Save to save changes to the current extension, Save As to save with a new extension name, or Cancel to discard changes.