The FlexSoftware support team may request a trace file to assist in diagnosing communication and/or terminal emulation issues. Follow the steps below to generate a trace if required:
- Make sure the FlexTerm session is disconnected by confirming that the Connect button on the Communication tab group of the Home ribbon tab shows a disconnected icon .
- Press the Trace button to toggle tracing on.
- Press the Connect button to reconnect the session.
- Log in to the host and reproduce the issue that was encountered.
- Once you have reached the point of failure, logout and disconnect the session.
- Press the Trace button to toggle tracing off.
Trace File Location
By default, traces are saved in the Traces sub-folder of the FlexTerm user directory, for example:
The name of the trace will begin with the session name, followed by an underscore and a six digit number representing the session ID. All traces will have a .log file extension.
Note: trace files will be "flushed" only after the session is disconnected, the FlexTerm application is closed, or the internal buffer is full.
Traces are in text format and will open in your default text editor, for example Notepad. Most of the data is somewhat meaningless to the average user, but FlexSoftware support and development staff will find it very useful in helping resolve any issues you encounter.
Sending Trace Files
Follow the steps below to send your traces to FlexSoftware support:
- Login to the FlexSoftware customer portal and create a new ticket for the issue you have encountered with FlexTerm. If there is an existing ticket, login to the portal and open it.
- Click the Attachment(s) link at the bottom of the ticket and browse for the trace file on your PC.